Monday, January 17, 2011

Homemade Dip Belt

Now that I am getting stronger, the need has arisen to add some weight to my pull-ups and dips. I have tried the dumbbell between the legs act but didn't fair so well with it. So I went in search of a good (but cheap dip belt to purchase).  After seeing how expensive they were, I wondered if I could make my own. That was when I stumbled upon this post . After seeing this, I thought I, too, could make my own....and I did.

I started off with some pipe insulation from my local Home Depot (about $2.00). I then purchased 6 feet of chain (about $10.00). I then proceeded to go to Wal-Mart where I knew they had some different colored duct tape (about $4.00) and I picked out a nice blue one. The carabiners I had from a previous project that I did.

The belt is pretty simple to make.

  1. Run the chain through the insulation

  2. Wrap with duct tape a few times

  3. Attach the carabiners

  4. and then lift!


I have already used this at the gym a few times and with great success. It has held up to about 35lbs so far and with no discomfort to me at all. If I could change anything, I might try and find a thicker sturdier pipe insulation and one without the slit in it.

[nggallery id=19]


No comments:

Post a Comment