Friday, April 1, 2011

Protein Shake Cleanse

I took an experience from The Healthier Me and his latest post on a 3-day Shakeology Cleanse and decided to do my own 3 day cleanse to jump start my weight loss. I changed it up a bit from his cleanse since I don't have Shakeology (that stuff is expensive!) and instead opted to use some of my own protein powder that I had around the house.

Details

The premise of the cleanse is this. You start your day with a protein shake and some fruit. You have the same thing for lunch and then a healthy dinner. Sounds simple enough and it reminded me of those old SlimFast commercials from the 80's.

httpv://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBVhQOG6ip0


What I Did

I started the cleanse on Tuesday by making a shake that consisted of almond milk, protein powder, sunbutter, banana's, and strawberries. I made it a double so that I had some for lunch. For supper that night we had family over and they brought Chipotle. I am not one to resist Chipotle and mine consisted of a bowl (no rice) fajita veggies, double chicken, guac, lettuce, and salsa. Pretty healthy by my standards.

Wednesday saw me making the same shake as Tuesday. For supper my wife made up some chicken breast and right before bed I made up a protein shake with some casein protein powder.

On Thursday I wanted to keep my carbs low for the day since I was not working out so I decided to cut out the fruit. The shake then consisted of almond milk and a few tablespoons of Sunbutter. For supper my wife had cooked up some ground beef with onions and cabbage. She also made up some cinnamon apples to which I did have a few pieces. I also splurged and had a piece of string cheese right before bed.

Conclusion

Friday morning is now here and I have decided to continue on with the cleanse if even just through the day. I did manage some time to hop on the scale this morning and my weight is down to 179. So in total I lost 2lbs while doing this challenge. It's hard to say if that weight loss was a results of the cardio I did this week, the low calories consumed (1500 a day) or the shake cleanse itself. All I know is it's not quite the 5lbs that Mike from The Healthier Me lost but it also might be the difference in the shakes we made. I have heard that Shakeology is the bomb. Would love it if someone could send me some samples to try. Maybe 6 samples so I could try the cleanse for real this time? :)

So there you have it. Down 2lbs and hoping to be down 2 more by next week.

P.S. I have joined another weight loss challenge with some friends. Nothing like a challenge to help keep me motivated.

4 comments:

  1. Love the website! Just came across it. You obviously have put a lot of work in here (and, obviously with your fitness).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the comment and visit. This site is a labor of love and fitness is truly a passion of mine. Thanks again for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  3. did you ever get to try shakeology? I'm a new Beach body coach :)  I too have decided its time to change my life and become one of those health and fitness fanatics ;) I've been doing turbo fire. I plan to do the Shakeology cleanse soon as mine comes in. I can send you some packets via snail mail lol! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats on becoming a new Beach Body Coach. Now is probably a good time for you to do so with the new P90x coming out. I have never tried Shakeology. Seems to be a bit expensive for my taste. :)

    ReplyDelete