Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Gym Topic of The Day - Shoes

Had a short but interesting conversation with an older gentleman in the locker room today.

Him:  They sure are getting popular.


Me:  Uhmm. What is?


Him:  Those silly shoes you have on. A few months ago, you were the only one I would see wearing them. Now they are getting to be everywhere.


Me:  Well they are super comfortable and great to work out in.


Him:  Well I suppose so.


And that was the end of the conversation. If you haven't guessed it yet, the shoes he was referring to were my Vibrams Five Finger shoe that I wear everyday when I am at the YMCA.  Our conversation made me wonder where else he had seen people wearing VFF's. After all, I couldn't imagine him and I frequent the same circles.  It wasn't until a few minutes later when I was in the workout room that I noticed another guy wearing some Vibrams as well. I guess that answered my question!

14 comments:

  1. I'm hoping to get a pair for Christmas. How it works now is that I take off my shoes any time I'm doing a leg exercise. I need the extra balance...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm probably getting the KSO. That seems to be the only one I can get here without ordering online. I also like the Bikila and the Sprint.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like my KSO's. Yesterday I heard about a new pair that are lace-ups but I cannot find anything about them on the official VFF website. A quick Google search turns up some that can be ordered but hard to tell if they are legit.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Something like this http://www.vibramfivefingers.it/eng/speed.aspx ?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Interesting that you found them. What country did you have to search under? I only went under North America.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's the European site. I clicked on Greece. It seems that the Italian site is the central for Europe.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ah. That must be why I couldn't find them. They look interesting. Not sure if I would buy a pair though.

    ReplyDelete
  8. There's a review on them on BirthdayShoes.com http://birthdayshoes.com/vibram-five-fingers-speed-first-look-initial-review-and-photos
    I like the sneaker style and the soles. If I can find them, I'll get them. I prefer a retailer because I can pay them in payments, which would be awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  9. If you get them, you will have to let me know what you think.

    ReplyDelete
  10. heh I have the water version of those for kite surfing. Much easier to get your feet into the board bindings if your toes are free to wiggle in. They are great for keeping your feet safe from the rock pit in the bottom of smithville as well. I tried jogging with them, but they hurt my feet too much.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Jogging in them definitely takes some getting used too. I found that after a couple of times out, my body adjusted, I learned to run correctly, and the pain went away. I love the minimalist idea but I am not sure if I will get another pair. I have been looking into getting something that I can wear to work without all the stares.

    ReplyDelete
  12. heh I have the water version of those for kite surfing. Much easier to get your feet into the board bindings if your toes are free to wiggle in. They are great for keeping your feet safe from the rock pit in the bottom of smithville as well. I tried jogging with them, but they hurt my feet too much.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You are the second person to mention the water version. They must be good. Do you ever wear them outside of the water in a casual environment?

    ReplyDelete