Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Fitness Photo Shoot Prep - Update 1

I am now officially on Day 7 of my 10 day water cut and carb depletion so I thought I would give a bit of an update on how things are going.

Before I get into details though, I want to clear the air on something. I am not doing an official Carb Nite Solution. I got lambasted last time I said I was doing this protocol without actually reading the book. I still don't have the Carb Nite Solution book but what I do have is the Carb Back Loading book (or CBL for short). In that book, there is talk about a 10 day preparation phase that prepares you for the CBL phase. I am following that (mostly) but from what I can tell, its similar to Carb Nite Solution.  And as stated before, I did some further research on water cutting. Everything that I am finding is pretty much the same and that is what I outlined in my last post.

Carbs are hard to give up


So far the prep phase has been rough. Trying to only consume 30 grams of carbs or less has been tough. There have been lots of things I have had to avoid that I normally wouldn't on my 100-150gram days. My energy level is very low and my muscle recovery is pretty much non-existent at this point.  I would normally recover in a day from a hard workout and now it seems like it takes 2-3 days.  By the end of the day I am worn out and find myself falling asleep on the couch around 7pm.

My calories have been around 1750 with almost equal amounts of fat and protein. That was a point I missed last time around as well.

2 gallons is a lot


Drinking 2 gallons of water a day has gotten old really fast. Yesterday I volunteered at my kid's school for the day and the constant drink/pee got really tiring for me and for anyone that saw me head from the bathroom to the break room 10 times that day. I am also really tired of waking up 4 times a night to use the bathroom. I can barely choke down water anymore.

Sodium is awesome


My sodium intake has fluctuated a ton. Like carbs, there is sodium in everything. Even my eggs!  I might be forced to eat nothing but chicken breast the next two days just to avoid it.  Now that is going to be boring.

Light at the end of the tunnel


But tomorrow is day 8 and on day 8 I start reducing my water intake to either 1 gallon or .5 gallon depending on what program I choose to listen too.  The day I am looking forward to the most is Friday though. Friday is my carb day.  I have been looking forward to this day since day 1. It's going to be epic. There may or may not be some smores in my future for that day.

One thing I am still unsure on though is my carb refeed start time and length. CBL states that I should start the refeed sometime late afternoon and run it for about 4-6 hours. Most photo/contest prep programs I have found state the carb refeed should start somewhere 1-2 days before the event and go all day. I am also not sure if I should workout on Friday or take the day off to refeed.  I guess I need to figure this out soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment