Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Gym Ettiquette


  • You don't need to use 4 different machines at the same time. If someone wants to use one, don't give them the "How dare you interrupt my workout" look. Most gyms only have 1 or 2 pieces of a specific type of equipment…please share.

  • Clean up After Yourself - I really hate it when people leave their power drink cups/cans all over the place. Most gyms have garbage cans. Please use them. Almost every gym I have ever been to has rules around carrying a towel with you to wipe up sweat yet I seem to be the only one that ever follows that. I know we all sweat but we don’t have to all share the same pool of sweat. Gyms are also starting to have cleaning supplies on hand just in case you "forgot" your towel. Please use them.

  • Leave no trace - One of my biggest pet peeves is the guy/girl that has to leave all their weights on the machine. We know you are huge and can squat 600 pounds but I shouldn't have to be the one that removes it. It’s not my job and it also interrupts my flow at the gym. Please put all weight away when done. If you are physically unable to do so after working out, then maybe you should take it down a notch.

  • Don't hog the treadmill - Many gyms have time limits on cardio machines during busy hours. There is a reason for that, and you should obey it.

  • Cover up - I respect the confidence that allows some people to walk around the locker room naked. Know what else I respect? Seeing you wearing a towel after your shower to keep the locker room a comfortable place for everyone. You also dont need to stand in front of the one full length mirror admiring yourself for 20 minutes. Tuck in your shirt, comb your hair and walk away.

No comments:

Post a Comment