Monday, January 23, 2012

Today’s Amusing Gym Antics

 

I was quite surprised today to see three guys doing bench presses in the walk in  squat rack.  They had the bar on the dead-lift mounts and they were lying on the ground on a mat. Six things really bothered me about these guys.

  1. There are 4 bench press benches in this gym. 2 were not being used.

  2. Two of the guys were personal trainers at the gym.

  3. The weight they were using was very light and I didnt see anything special about the movement that warranted using this particular piece of equipment.

  4. In between sets, they walked over the cable machine were they did incline cable flies. All three would go at the same time. This left the squat rack alone with their weight on it for about 4 minutes each time.

  5. Two of the guys were wearing skin tight Under Armour shirts. I am a huge fan of Under Armour and wear quite a few of their products and even own a skin tight one. But I only wear it under other shirts and only when I really needs its moisture wicking ability. Skin tight Under Armour shirts should never be worn by themselves in my opinion.

  6. One of the guys proceeded to ask me, immediately following my first set of dead-lifts, if I was almost done. I guess the two pieces of equipment they were already hogging weren't enough. When I did finish, he proceeded to put on 135lbs for squats and then screamed so loud while doing them, that the entire gym took notice. 135lbs.

4 comments:

  1. No kidding. I am seeing some pretty crazy things there lately. I may have to start posting some more of it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. [...] an example, today I saw a trainer (the same one I mentioned in this post) that was having his client do bicep curls….laying on her back….on the cable row [...]

    ReplyDelete
  3. Westside training method calls for cycling bench variations on 'max effort' day to remove the need to have de-load weeks. Floor press is one variation:
    http://train.elitefts.com/exercises-by-body-part/pecs-exercises-by-body-part/floor-press-off-pins/

    ReplyDelete