Wednesday, September 22, 2010

StrengthTime Gym Review

Last weekend, I was invited by owners Jason and Julie to try out their gym which is new to the Kansas City area. StrengthTime is located in Lenexa KS just off of K-7 and Woodland Road which is a nice 15 minute drive from my house. The day started out just like any other Saturday. I slept in and enjoyed my morning coffee but refrained from eating anything with substance. I practice the leangains approach to working out and almost always train in a fasted state. I had previously spoken to one of the owners regarding the gym and its ideal's so I knew that morning I was going to be getting an introduction to the concepts of the gym and then I would get a work out on their fitness machines.

Now fitness machines are not really my thing as they tend to be one size fits all and that size usually isn’t me. I tend to be able to lift close to the entire stack on most every machine I have ever tried and I figured these machines wouldn’t be much different. I was wrong. Upon first viewing, I could tell that the equipment StrengthTime uses isn't your typical run of the mill YMCA Precor machines but rather state of the art work out machines that can be moved and adjusted to fit any person perfectly; like a glove.

Any idea I had about stacking the weights and pumping out my 4 sets of 12,10,8, and 6 were quickly dissolved with the reintroduction of slow movement training by my trainer, Jacob. Being around fitness for years, I was familiar with the general concept and had even practiced it in its simplest form many years ago (slow movement on the last rep of each set) but I had never taken it to the extreme intensity that I was about to partake in.
For those unfamiliar with the concept of slow movement training, it is regarded as one of the most effective methods of resistance training to increase muscle mass and strength. In simplest terms, its essentially lifting and lowering a weight for x number of seconds in a slow controlled fashion with very minimal stopping. Obviously it's a bit more complicated than what I have explained here. I am definitely not an expert by any means. If you are interested in learning more, give one of the trainers at StrengthTime a call.

After Jacob’s introduction to the concepts of slow movement training, he took me into the weight room and over to my starting machine. A Leg Press of sorts. I was thinking at the time that I hoped he was prepared to be blown away by my awesomeness because my legs are massive and I can usually push some serious weight on this machine. I don't "recall" what weight he started at but I do remember it wasn’t anywhere near my personal best. I thought I would humor him and give it shot. What could it hurt? Well right out of the gate, I heaved the weight out in an explosive masculine manner. I may have even grunted. I could tell he was impressed. I mean he had to be impressed… right? Well, he may not have been but I surely was! “Ok” he said, "That was really good but now try it again but slower...slower....slower. Good, now bring the weight back at the same speed. OK, now without resting, do it again until I tell you to stop." Well after a few reps at that speed, he didn’t have to tell me to stop because I dropped the weights back into the starting position. I had finished that exercise and the smile on my face proved I was happy with my results. I don’t think he was as impressed with me as I was though. He said, "Next time, you push until you have nothing left in you, then you hold it, and then you release it." I knew he was right. I gave up on that last rep way to easily. I made a vow that I wouldn’t do that again...and I didn’t. He proceeded to take me through the rest of my workout routine that managed to hit every major part of my body. 30 minutes later and I was worn-out. I felt like I had just worked out harder than I had in a very long time.

After a few minutes of rest and gabbing I took off for my next appointment. But before I drove off, I sat in my car for a few minutes in such a state of pure exhilaration. I could not believe what had just happened. How could I feel like this in only 30 minutes and on machines!? It felt like I had used muscles that I didn’t even know I had!

So if you are like me and looking for a new challenge or someone just looking to get into shape and live a healthier lifestyle, give the trainers at StrengthTime a call. Trust me when I say you will be glad you did! (During their Grand Opening celebration, they are offering your first 3 workout sessions for FREE.) I would definitely take them up on that offer! You will not be disappointed.
(Disclaimer - I received no compensation for this review. I was just so impressed with the workout and staff that I wanted to spread the word.)

************************************

StrengthTime

Hours
By appointment, not limited to the hours listed:
Mon - Thur: 5am - 7pm
Fri - Sat: 5am - 6pm
Address
10084 Woodland Rd.
Lenexa, KS
Phone
913-428-TIME (8463)
Emailinfo-lenexa@strengthtime.com

Website
http://strengthtime.com/locations/strengthtime-lenexa.php

Facebook

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Lenexa-KS/StrengthTime-of-Lenexa/146666232022637?ref=ts

1 comment:

  1. total body gym...

    [...]StrengthTime Gym Review | StartBeingFit[...]...

    ReplyDelete