Monday, May 14, 2012

Pushing a Car vs Lifting a Car

There is a guy at the gym that will stack every available 45lb plate onto the hip sled machine and then proceed to do multiple reps with but a few inches of travel. His leg day and mine usually land on the same day and he is typically doing his workout while I am doing my squats.

When he is done, he always comes over and asks me why I don't try my hand at the hip sled like him.  I often tell him its not really my thing. I really dont want to get into a debate on lifting techniques with him.  I just want to get in, lift, and get out.

Today while I was standing around waiting for the squat rack to open up, I thought of a great analogy of the sled vs the squat rack.

Many people can push a car. It really doesn't take much to push a car into motion and then continue that motion.  But let's see that same person try and actually lift that car. If they could, that would be impressive and would really show the strength of that individual.

I personally would rather be able to lift a car than push it. Which person would you rather be?

1 comment:

  1. I'm with you. I'd much rather lift the car

    ReplyDelete